General January 15th, 2008
This article is a basic guideline on how to insert excel spreadsheet into word document. It gives a comprehensive list of the available options and describes each one of them in graphic detail.
In order to put excel data into word, you can choose from the following options, depending on your requirement.
1) Copy & paste
If, in your word document, you simply want to show some numbers in tabular form then instead of using tables in word you can quickly make it in excel and just copy and paste in word. This method is good for one time presentation. The main limitation of this method is that you would not be able to modify the content of the table later if you wish to.
2) Embedding excel data into your word document
If you want to edit the excel data directly in word then you can embed the data into your word document.However it would not be linked to the original excel file anymore i.e. if you modify your source file then your excel sheet in word document would not
get updated automatically. This feature simply allows you to modify the data directly in word instead of making a sheet all over again in excel when you want to modify some numbers.
To insert Excel data into a Word document, follow the below mentioned steps:
- Open both the document and the excel worksheet, and select the range of data in Excel, that you want to show in your word document.
- The next step is to copy the selected region. Now go to the word document and place your cursor at the position where you want to put the excel data. Then, choose Edit->Paste Special from the menu bar.
- The paste special dialogue box in Word would pop up, click the Paste button, and select Microsoft Office Excel Worksheet Object from the list of options.
Hit OK. If in your document you want to show this file as an excel icon then you can simply check the box “Display as icon”, or else it will just be displayed as a table.
Now, when you click on it, you would be able to edit the contents comfortably as it will open in excel.
The main limitation of this method is that it makes the word document a very heavy file.
3) Link the Excel data to your document You have the following two options available in case you wish to link your excel worksheet in word to the excel source file so that whenever you modify your original excel sheet, the worksheet in word gets updated automatically.
- Follow the exactly same steps as in the second method. However, instead of choosing paste option, choose “Paste Link” from the Paste Special dialogue box.
- Another way to insert Excel data into a Word document is to insert it as an object.
In your word document, choose Insert ->Object from the menu bar.
From the Object dialogue box, select Microsoft Excel Worksheet and choose the create from file tab. Now you can give the location of your excel file that you wish to insert.
If you want to insert empty worksheet you can select create new tab. Select “the Link to file check box”. If you leave it unchecked then it would be like the second option except that now you have inserted the whole worksheet and not some selected area. If “Display the file as an icon” check box is checked, your excel worksheet would be displayed as an icon. Click OK to insert the Excel data.